Kieran Shepherd (pictured) was found dead at his girlfriend's flat on February 17

Kieran Shepherd (pictured) was found dead at his girlfriend's flat on February 17

Kieran Shepherd (pictured) was discovered lifeless at his girlfriend’s flat on February 17

A teenage fan of a rap singer died after overdosing on the identical lethal tranquilisers that killed the troubled star, an inquest heard.

Simply 4 months after the loss of life of US rapper Lil Peep from an overdose of the drug Xanax Kieran Shepherd was discovered lifeless at his girlfriend’s flat.

The 17 yr outdated had been ‘experimenting’ with the tranquilisers for only a fortnight.

Now after the teenager’s ‘tragic an pointless loss of life’ police have issued an pressing warning concerning the hazard of the drug which they are saying is quick turning into an issue.

Chesterfield Coroners’ Court docket heard Kieran’s girlfriend Erin Crick discovered his physique at her flat within the city on the morning of February 17 this yr.

The 19-year-old advised the inquest he had began taking Xanax ‘not more than two weeks earlier than he died’. 

Ms Crick advised the inquest how Kieran listened to music by the rap artist Lil Peep, who died after overdosing on Xanax.

She added: ‘Lots of people in Chesterfield have been taking it.’ 

Lil Peep - real name was Gustav Elijah Åhr - was a Swedish-American and was found dead on November 15, 2017 from an accidental fentanyl-xanax overdose

Lil Peep - real name was Gustav Elijah Åhr - was a Swedish-American and was found dead on November 15, 2017 from an accidental fentanyl-xanax overdose

Lil Peep – actual identify was Gustav Elijah Åhr – was a Swedish-American and was discovered lifeless on November 15, 2017 from an unintended fentanyl-xanax overdose

She mentioned: ‘He was upset about his granddad being poorly and he was fed up with faculty’.

However she mentioned she didn’t get the impression he needed to take his personal life. ‘I did not assume this is able to occur,’ she added.

READ  Coffins arrive at morgue amid horrifying new accounts of Greece fireplace

Lil Peep – actual identify was Gustav Elijah Åhr – was a Swedish-American. He was a frequent consumer of medicine as a consequence of his psychological well being points.

The 21 year-old was discovered lifeless on November 15, 2017 from an unintended fentanyl-xanax overdose

Xanax, the model identify for alprazolam, is a benzodiazepine used to deal with anxiousness and panic assaults. It’s not out there on the NHS and may solely be obtained on a non-public prescription within the UK.

Illicit alprazolam, usually within the type of counterfeit tablets, could be purchased from road degree drug markets and can also be out there to buy from web sites and social media apps. 

Mr Shepherd's  girlfriend said he listened to music by the rap artist Lil Peep (pictured) who died after overdosing on Xanax

Mr Shepherd's  girlfriend said he listened to music by the rap artist Lil Peep (pictured) who died after overdosing on Xanax

Mr Shepherd’s  girlfriend mentioned he listened to music by the rap artist Lil Peep (pictured) who died after overdosing on Xanax

‘Benzos’ work by slowing down the features of the mind, performing as a leveller in instances of excessive stress, over-excitement or anxiousness. However severe side-effects can happen, together with slurring phrases and even whole blackouts.

Earlier this month Public Well being England revealed that the variety of kids being handled for dependancy to tranquilisers has doubled in a yr, to greater than 300.

Xanax tranquiliser craze is creating teenage ‘zombies’, research finds 

1000’s of youngsters are being left ‘zombified’ after utilizing the tranquiliser Xanax as a celebration drug or to assist them address mental-health issues.

READ  79 folks had been injured in Homes of Parliament final 12 months

It’s inflicting adolescents to undergo reminiscence blackouts and character adjustments, in accordance with the most important survey of its variety this yr.

Some 35 per cent of these aged between 13 and 24 take the drug recreationally or to assist them address stress and despair when assistance is missing in an over-stretched NHS, the analysis, by the web site VICE, provides.

Bambos Charalambous, who’s Labour MP for Enfield Southgate and has beforehand voiced issues over Xanax, claims the tranquiliser is a part of a subculture for these below 30, with older generations typically by no means having heard of it.

Xanax is banned by the NHS however could be simply purchased on-line from the US, the place it’s authorized, making a black market.

Benzodiazepine, also referred to as ‘benzos’, sometimes trigger customers to construct up a drug tolerance inside weeks, leading to them craving ever bigger doses to get the ‘hit’ they want.

Withdrawal signs can embody anxiousness, panic assaults and even hallucinations.

Xanax, and copies of it, accounted for the sharpest rise – from eight kids receiving remedy in 2016-17 to 53 in 2017-18. Ambulance companies across the nation have additionally reported a rising downside.

Lots of the drugs taken by kids are copies purchased on-line, with no indication of their power or whether or not they have been adulterated.

Detective Constable Dean Tidd, of Derbyshire Constabulary, advised the inquest evaluation of Kieran’s cell phone revealed he was ‘probably experimenting’ with the tranquiliser however this was solely ‘very not too long ago’ earlier than he died.

READ  Billie Lourd reveals the Thanksgiving ‘custom vibe’ she discovered from grandmother Debbie Reynolds

He added: ‘Xanax use has elevated fairly dramatically. ‘We would name it an rising development. It is one thing extra persons are taking.’

{The teenager}’s mom Lisa Shepherd described her son as a ‘caring and loving son’ who had many pursuits together with music, enjoying laptop video games and supporting his native soccer crew Chesterfield.

Kieran’s father Richard Shepherd mentioned he was a ‘pretty child’ however he mentioned his son was ‘simply led’.

Coroner Peter Nieto concluded Kieran’s loss of life was drug-related. He mentioned toxicology checks revealed the extent of Xanax in Kieran’s system was throughout the vary able to inflicting loss of life.

‘It is clear he was a really current consumer of Xanax, a really inexperienced consumer. There isn’t any proof he took the tablets to hurt himself,’ added Mr Nieto.

After the inquest, Derbyshire Constabulary issued a press release which mentioned: ‘It is a tragic and pointless loss of life of a younger man. Kieran was simply 17-years-old and had his entire life forward of him. Our ideas are with Kieran’s household and pals.

‘Kieran bought what he believed to be Xanax tablets. Xanax, also referred to as alprazolam, is used to deal with anxiousness and panic issues.

‘Tablets bought illegally are unregulated and may very well be adulterated with any variety of dangerous substances. There isn’t any approach of figuring out what the power of those tablets are, or if they’re real or faux.’  

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here